About Property Tax

General Property Questions

1. When are property tax bills mailed out?

October 1st of each year. Property tax bills are mailed  to the owner of record (as of 1 January). If a deed change occurs after the first of the year, a tax bill are mailed to the new owner of the property as a courtesy. New owners should contact their title company or review their closing statement to determine who is responsible for paying the taxes. Payment of property tax depends on when the property is transferred. Unpaid taxes continue to accrue against the property.

2. What time of year are property taxes due?

Taxes are due and payable from 1 October through 28 February.

3. Are partial payments accepted for my taxes?


4. What happens if I miss the tax payment deadline?

You pay Interest and Penalty.

March 1st - 1.5%
April 1st - 3.0%
May 1st - 4.5%
June 1st - 6.0%
July 1st - 7.5%
August 1st - 9.0%
September 1st - 10.5%
October 1st - 12.0%
November 1st - 13.5%
December 1st - 15.0%
January 1st - 16.5%
February 1st - 18.0%
March 1st - 19.5%

File In Chancery Court:
April 1st

On line property tax payments through the BIS System are recognized by the county as paid on the date of the on line transaction.

 Back to Top

5. What time period do my annual taxes cover?

The taxes that become payable October 1 cover the previous calendar year.

6. Where can my tax bill be paid in person?

The Trustee's Office is in located at 106 North Warren St. - Hardeman county Courthouse Annex, Bolivar, TN 38008. Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

7. What does the term "EtUx" beside my husband's name on the property bill mean?

EtUx is a Latin phrase meaning "and wife." The phrase "EtVir" means "and husband," EtAl means "and others."

8. What do some of the terms on my tax bill mean?

Check the online glossary section for definitions of terms on your tax bill.

9. Does my mortgage company get a copy of my tax bill mailed to them?

Yes, if the mortgage company requests it. . It is the property owner's responsibility to follow up and see if his mortgage company pays his tax. Tax bills are also mailed to the property owner to review the information.

 Back to Top


Do the elderly, disabled or disabled veterans receive any discounts or exemptions? Yes.

Eligibility requirements include: age/ disability; ownership/ residency; and income (except veterans and their eligible surviving spouses).  Reimbursements for the property taxes of low-income homeowners who are elderly or disabled are provided by the state of Tennessee. Income requirements do not apply to disabled veterans or their surviving spouses. Reimbursements are given on all or part of the local taxes paid on property which the taxpayer owns and uses as his/her residence. These benefits are paid on the first $18,000 market value of the property. For the tax year 2004, this amount is $105.00. To apply for property tax relief you must meet these three basic criteria - these are described below.

Age/ Disability
During the tax year for which he is applying, an applicant must turn 65 on or before December 31. In order to apply as a disabled homeowner, a person must have become disabled on or before December 31 of the tax year  An applicant may apply if he is awaiting a decision on his disability claim. The state office must receive the final decision by June 30 following the delinquency date. The final decision must indicate his disability began on or before December 31 of the tax year.

Ownership/ Residency
An applicant must be able to document that he had ownership of the taxable property during the tax year. Ownership may be documented by a tax bill/receipt, warranty deed, probated will, title or bill of sale for a mobile home.

Income Requirement (Elderly or Disabled Homeowners)
The combined annual income from all sources of all the living owners of record is required and could exceed $12,710 for the year 2003. Annual income from all sources shall include, but is not limited to, Social Security payments after the Medicare deduction, supplemental security income, retirement and pension benefits, veteran's benefits, worker's compensation, unemployment compensation, salaries and wages, alimony, total interest and total dividends. For income from a business, include only the net income or loss after expenses.

Disabled Veterans
Disabled veterans must have disability ratings at 100 percent. The disabilities must meet specific criteria under service connection, be combat - related or the result of being a prisoner of war for at least five months. For veterans who qualify, there is no income limit. Tax relief is paid on the first $140,000 of market value of the home.

Applications for tax relief are available in the trustee's office. For more information, call our office at (731) 658-5541.

 Back to Top

Reviewing Your Property Info

1. Is there a charge for reviewing information about my property?

For an individual property, there is no charge for reviewing tax information.

2. Is my property information viewable by other people?

Any individual or company is allowed to review it. Property tax information is public record.

Property Assessment

1. Where can I find information about the assessed value of my property?

The county assessor is responsible for the appraisal and assessment of property. You may contact the county assessor's office at (731) 658-6522.

2. How are the Assessor's Office and the Trustee's Office related?

The Assessor of Property is responsible for the appraisal and assessment of property, according to state law. The Trustee's Office is responsible for billing and collection of taxes based on assessments. The Trustee has no authority over the amount of assessment, nor can he/she be involved in the appraisal process.

3. What is the appeal process?

Appointments can be made by contacting the Assessor's Office. The appeal process begins in the Assessor's Office by appearing before the Local Board of Equalization. This board meets annually during the first two weeks of June.

 Back to Top

Tax Sale Information

1. What is a tax sale?

An auction of parcels of property that have delinquent taxes.

2. What is the date and time of the annual tax sale auction?

The tax sale auction is held in March of each year.

3. Where and when will the auction/sale be advertised?

All questions should be directed to the Clerk and Master of Chancery Court at (731) 658-3142.

Local newspapers:

Bulletin Times
410 West Market Street

Bolivar, TN 38008


4. When are tax sales advertised?

The auction list is published once approximately 2-3 weeks before the sale.

5. How and when do you register for the tax sale auctions?

There is no registration. You must simply be present to bid.

 Back to Top

6. Is it possible to register by mail?

No, you can't register by mail.

7. What type of payment is required at auction?

Either cash, money order, or check is required at the time of the sale.

8. What type of bidding process is used?

This is an open public auction.

9. Will the sales be final?

Nothere is a one year redemption period.

10. Will all other liens be cleared from the property as a result of the sale?

All liens except state and federal liens are cleared.

11. Is there a redemption period before I can take possession once a property is acquired through your tax sale?  YES.  What is the redemption period?

The new owner cannot take possession of the property until one year from the date the confirmation of sale is filed.

12. If there is a redemption period, does the investor earn interest during the redemption period? If so, what is the annual interest rate?

Contact the Chancery Court Clerk's Office at (731) 658-3142

Back to Top

13. If a foreclosure is necessary, will the county assist in this matter?

No. The county does not assist with foreclosures.

14. Will I receive a document to verify the purchase? Will it be a deed or a certificate of lien?

You will receive a receipt showing the amount you paid. At the end of the redemption period, the county will issue a deed.

15. Do you allow investors to invest at your tax sales without attending the tax sale?


16. Is a current list of available properties or liens available?

The available properties are published 2-3 weeks before the tax sale. You may obtain a copy by contacting the newspaper or the Chancery Court Clerk's Office at (731) 658-3142.

17. Is a copy of the county and state statutes and rules regarding the tax sale available for purchase?


18. Would you please place me on your mailing list if you have one?

No, you have to contact the office.

19. Can I get a list of properties whose redemption period has already expired?

There are no properties available.


20. When will the list of unsold /unbid-on property be available?

When property is not sold at the March Chancery Court Tax sale, it defaults to the county. The one year redemption period applies. At the end of that period, another auction is held by the trustee to sell the property held in the county inventory. Contact the trustee for the sale date.

Back to Top

Home FAQ About Property Tax Office Staff Contact Us Map
Tax Calculator